I have had an absolute BLAST creating favor bags from recycled materials lately. And now, I am offering them for sale on etsy!
Thanks for allowing me to share the bags I created using a simple origami fold and brown paper grocery bags. Now let me show you how I created these fun bags from newspaper and some fabric and felt scraps.
I started by laying out pages of newspaper onto a flat surface. I stacked about 3 or 4 pages together. I cut the pages into quadrants so I could get a size that would fit into my 12 x 12 paper trimmer. I put the four layers of paper into my paper trimmer and cut 8" squares. I put a little glue between the pages to hold in place while I sewed the edges of the newspaper together and then randomly sewed squiggled lines up and down the squares.
Now comes the folding part... Fold the stitched paper in half so it looks like this...
Cut a 1" x 12" strip of fabric. You also rip the fabric to create frayed edges which adds to the rustic look of these.
Starting at one end, twist the fabric strip towards you and continue until the entire strip is twisted. You may want to use a little fabric glue on one end to keep the twst in place. Once the strip is twisted, roll the strip in a sprial like this...
1. Fill them with wrapped candies and hang in a co-workers space for an instant pick me up
2. Insert a gift card for a very creatively presented surprise
3. Fill with seed packets and give to a garden loving friend
4. Hang on a neighbors door filled with wrapped cookies for a sweet "just because" gift
5. Fill with paper clips, note pads, pencils, etc for a quick and easy teacher appreciation gift
How would you use these? Let me know, leave me a comment, I love to hear from you....
If you like this idea for teacher appreciation gifts, wedding favors, etc, you can order them directly from my etsy shop.