Here is a fun Green craft for you to try using materials you already have at home plus some fun cool embellishments. These are recycled treat cups created fom cardboard tubes and corrugated cardboard from shipping boxes.
Materials for Recycled Treat Cups
- Recycled cardboard tubes (I used tube from the center of a scot towel roll cut into smaller lengths)
- Shipping box or other corrugated cardboard
- Adtech hot glue gun and sticks, hot glue gun pad
- Adtech Permanant Glue Runner Crafter's Tape
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint- Sour Apple
- Assorted embellishments of choice, light green rick rack
- Rubber stamps of choice and Staz-On pigment ink
- Scissors, paintbrush, ruler
First of all, cut off one side of the cardboard box and peel off the paper to expose the corrugated box.
Now trace a 5" circle on the smooth side of the cardboard and cut out with scissors. Measure 2" circles and cut out. Paint all circles Sour Apple.
While the coats of paint dry, measure the length and the width of the tubes and cut the cardboard to fit around the tubes. For the bottom of the tubes, measure and cut a circle that is 1" larger than the bottom of the tube.
Use the Glue Runner to adhere the cardboard on the tube by placing several strips of glue on the smooth side of the exposed cardboard.
Use the hot glue gun the adhere the circle to the bottom of the tube.
Refer to the photo and use the glue gun and glue sticks to assemble the remainder of the treat cups.
Use the rubber stamps and ink to stamp sentiments, motifs, etc. onto the green circles. Embellish the circles to suit your taste.
Deciding on what to fill these recycled treat cups with is the fun part! Here are some ideas for you
- Trail mix for a brownie, eagle, girl or cub scout meeting. Make it rich in nuts and seeds and use the opportunity to talk about how important it is to respect the earth as it has so much to offer.
- Fill them with gourmet bird seed and give them away to avid bird watchers along with the instructions for making bird seed cakes. I like this recipe.
- For a fun art gift for a creative friend, assemble embellishments such as ribbons, vintage jewelry, ephemera in green hues and fill the tubes with them.
I hope you find many cool uses for making and using these recycled treat cups!
Live Life Creatively,